Monday, April 25, 2011

Weird Mama

I was in my early twenties when I had a life-altering conversation with my sister. We were sitting around, and she looked at me and said, "You know, Dad's kinda weird."

"Yeah," I said. "Mom is, too, don't you think?"

"Yeah."

It was then that I realized that not everyone's parents were like mine. I had only ever experienced my own parents, and up until that moment, it had never occurred to me that my experience was any different than those of my friends. Now, since both my parents will probably read this blog, I will point out that perhaps the reason that it took me so long to come to this realization was because my parents were never obvious oddballs. They're just different (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

Now I can't help wondering when my children will realize that what they consider "normal" may not be...quite so much. Some day, my children wil indeed look at me and come to the realization that other kids' parents may not be the same as theirs. They may even realize that their mother is, dare I say, WEIRD???


















No comments:

Post a Comment